(Department of Trade and Industry)
Q: What is a Business Name?
A: A business name refers to any name that is different from the true name of an individual, which is used or signed in connection with her/his business.
Q: Is Business Name Registration (BNR) required?
A: Yes, if a person will use a firm name other than his/her true name.
Q: What is the age requirement for applicants to register a BN?
A: At least 18 years old.
Q: Who should sign the application for a single proprietorship?
A: The application must be personally signed by the applicant or owner of the business. The application may also be signed by his Attorney-in-Fact, who is authorized in a proper legal instrument (Special Power of Attorney).
Q: Can one use P.O. Box a business address?
Q: What are the BNR requirements?
A: The following are required when applying for a BN:
- Two copies of completely filled out application forms signed by the owner. Note that only the owner is authorized to sign the application form.
- Payment of registration fee plus documentary stamp tax.
- Presentation of original copy of two photo-bearing national issued Identification Document (ID) with signature.
Q: What BNs are not registrable?
A: The following BNs are NOT registrable:
- Those which are or whose natures of business are illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety (e.g. Popoy’s Jueteng Betting Place, Boobs Massage and Spa)
- Names that are the same, nearly the same as, or confusingly the same with an existing registered business, company, partnership, corporation, cooperative name; or those that infringe on any trademark, service mark or tradename (e.g. Anne Dok’s Lechon, Jolibee, Starbax Café)
- Names composed purely of generic or geographic words (e.g. The Laundry Shop, Bacolod)
- Names which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated (e.g OTOP, Intelligence, State College, CALABARZON)
- Names used to designate or distinguish, or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles, merchandise or service (e.g. Best Taho Factory, A-1 Auto Repair Shop)
- Names or abbreviation of a name used by the government in its governmental functions (e.g. NBI Private Investigation Services, DTI Trading)
- Names or abbreviation of a name of any nation, intergovernmental or international organization (e.g. Philippine Manpower Pooling Agency, UNESCO Marketing)
- Names that are deceptive, misleading, or which misrepresent the nature of the business (e.g. “ABC Construction Services” where nature of business is recruitment, a business name carrying another person’s name)
Q: How much is the registration fee?
A: Registration fee varies depending on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application, as follows:
Q: What does the territorial scope/territorial applicability of BNR refer to?
A: Territorial scope/applicability of BN registration refers to an area within which the applicant’s right to use the registered BN shall be confined. It may be within a barangay, a certain city/municipality, region, or national in coverage.
Q: What are the rules on the approval of BNs within territorial boundaries?
A: A proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in the territory:
- Barangay – the proposed business name will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that specific barangay, city/municipality covering specified barangay, proper region, and national level in scope. It will be approved provided it is not identical or confusingly similar with BNs registered within that barangay, city/municipality, region, or national in coverage.
- City/Municipality – the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that specific city/municipality, proper region, and national in coverage.
- Regional - the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that region and those national in scope.
- National - the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs national in application.
Q: If for instance the territorial scope of my BN is within a city and I want to expand my business and put up branches in other cities, what do I need to do?
A: Expanding your business outside the registered territory is a change of location (i.e. change of the territorial applicability of your business name). Therefore, this would require a new BN application.
Q: Do I still need to register the branches of my business?
A: Not anymore if your branches are located in the same territorial scope of your approved BN.
When an existing branch, which registered prior to Department Administrative Order (DAO)10-08, Series of 2010, renews its application, the approval thereof will be applicable to all branches, including the main office within the same territorial coverage chosen. Upon renewal registration, however, the registrant will be required to select the territory/locality.
Q: How long is the validity of a BNR?
A: The BNR is valid for five years from the date of registration and may be renewed on the day of, or within six months from, expiration.
Q: What are the requirements for renewal of BNR?
A: The following are required for BNR renewal:
- Filled out application form for renewal.
- Processing fee plus P15.00 documentary stamps if renewed within the first three months after the expiration date.
Q: When should one file application for BNR renewal?
A: Applications for renewal shall be filed within six months immediately following the BNR expiration. If the renewal application is filed within the last three months thereof, a surcharge of 50% of the registration fee shall be imposed.
Q: What happens if one fails to renew the BN after the six-month grace period?
A: Failure to renew within the six-month grace period after the expiration date will result in automatic cancellation of the BN from the database. An application to register the cancelled business name will be considered as original and will be approved only if there is no such similar or confusingly similar name already registered.
Q: Is early renewal or renewal before the expiration date allowed?
Q: If one lost the original BNR certificate, what is needed to submit to facilitate the BN renewal?
A: An affidavit of loss must be submitted.
Q: Is there a minimum required capitalization in registering a business name?
Q: Is changing an existing BN allowed?
Q: What are the procedures for the change of BN?
A: The following procedures must be complied with when changing an approved BN:
- Fill out new application form and pay the required fees.
- Submit a notarized affidavit of cancellation of the registered BN, stating the reason/s for the cancellation and that the registered owner has no outstanding financial obligation.
- Surrender original copy of the BN certificate and the duplicate copy of the application form. An affidavit of loss if either the BN certificate and/or the duplicate copy of the application form was lost.
Q: Do we still need to inform DTI when we close our business?
A: Yes, you have to inform DTI and apply for cancellation of your registered BN.
Q: What are the requirements/procedures for the voluntary cancellation of a Business Name?
A: The following requirements/procedures must be complied with when cancelling a BN:
- Letter request signed by the owner.
- Affidavit of cancellation of the registered BN, stating the reason/s for the cancellation and that the registered owner has no outstanding financial obligation.
- Surrender original copy of the business name certificate and the duplicate copy of the application form.
- An affidavit of loss if the BN certificate and/or the duplicate copy of the application form had been lost.
Q: How can one secure another copy of a lost original BNR certificate?
A: One may be able to secure, as an option, a substitute document to evidence the existence and validity of a BN based on the DTI registration records. This option refers to a request for and issuance of the certification - which is an attestation of the fact of registration of the given business.
Q: What are the requirements/procedures when securing a certification of the existence and validity of a BN?
A: The following must be complied with when securing a certification of the existence and validity of a BN:
1. Letter request signed by the authorized signatory, stating the ff:
· BN certificate number
2. Secure and attach a duly notarized affidavit of loss.
3. Processing fee of P50.00 per certification plus documentary stamp tax of P15.00.
Q: What are the requirements if I want to secure a Certified True Copy (CTC)?
A: The requirements in securing a CTC are:
- Letter request signed by the requesting party, with an indication of requested number of copies for CTC
- Photocopy(ies) of the BN certificate
- Processing fee of P50.00 plus documentary stamp tax of P15.00 per copy
Q: Is it possible for one person to have more than one BN?
T: Ano ang batas namamahala sa pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo?
S: Ang batas na namamahala sa pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ay Act No. 3883 , na sinusugan ng Batas No. 41476 at RA No. 863 , kung hindi man ay kilala bilang "Business Name Law ."
T: Ano ang kaukulan o tamang edad para sa mga aplikante upang magparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ?
S: Hindi bababa sa labing-walong (18) taong gulang.
T: Gaano katagal ang bisa ng isang rehistradong sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo?
S: Ang rehistro ay may bisa ng limang (5) taon mula sa petsa ng orihinal na pagka aproba nito, kung saan pagkatapos , at dapat muling baguhin ang pagpaparehistro.
T: Kung nawala ko ang orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng rehistradong negosyo , ano ang kailangan kong isumite upang mapabilis ang pag- apanibago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo?
S: Sa kaganapan na nawala mo ang iyong orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo, sa halip isang apidabit ng pagkawala ang kailangang isumite.
T: Ano ang mangyayari sa rehistrasyon ng pangalan ng aking negosyo kung nabigo akong baguhin pagkatapos ng petsa pagkawala ng bisa?
S: Ang pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ay maaari pa ring gawin sa loob ng tatlong buwan pagkatapos ng petsa ng pag-kawala ng bisa. Sa pagpapanibago ng rehistrasyon ito ay may kaukulang halaga na babayaran. Ang kabiguang baguhin muli ang rehistro sa loob ng 6 na buwan pagkatapos ng huling araw ng pagkawala ng bisa ay magbubunga ng awtomatikong kanselasyon ng naitalang pangalan ng negosyo sa listahan ng datos. Ang isang aplikasyon upang irehistro ang kinanselang pangalan ng negosyo ay isasaalang-alang bilang orihinal at sasangayunan kung walang kapareho o nakakalitong katulad na pangalan na naka-tala na .
T: Kung nawala ko ang aking orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng rehistrasyon ng negosyo , ano ang kailangan kong isumite upang mapabilis ang pagpapanibago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo?
S: Sa kaganapang nawala mo ang iyong orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo ng pagpaparehistro,sa halip isang apidabit ng pagkawala ay kailangang isumite .
T:Kung ako ay magpasa ng muling pagpparehistro para sa isang pagpapabago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo, maaari ko bang baguhin ang impormasyon na nakalagay sa orihinal na naaprubahan ?
S: Oo. Maaari mong baguhin ang ilang mga impormasyon ng negosyo tulad ng address ng kompanya , numero ng telepono , at hinahawakang negosyo( hangga't ang mga ito ay kahalintulad sa orihinal produktong naaprubahan ), pagtaas / pagbaba ng kapitalisasyon , pagtaas / pagbaba sa bilang ng mga empleyado , at iba pa . Subalit, HINDI MAAARING baguhin ang pangalan ng negosyo o kompanya na orihinal na naaprubahan, datapwat ito ay mangngangailangan ng panibagong rehistrasyon.
T: Sino ang dapat lumagda ng aplikasyon para sa isang solong pag-mamay-ari ?
S: Ang aplikasyon ay dapat na personal na lagdaan ng aplikante o may-ari ng negosyo. Ang aplikasyon ay maaari ring lagdaan sa pamamagitan ng kanyang Attorney -in- Fact , kung sino ang pinahintulutan sa isang wastong instrumentong legal o Special Power of Attorney
T: Sino ang dapat lumagda ng aplikasyon para sa isang ari-arian ?
S: Ang aplikasyon ay dapat lagdaan sa pamamagitan ng naitakdang administrador (judicially o extra- judicially appointed)
T: Maaari ko bang gamitin ang P.O. Box na address ng aking negosyo ?