Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

    Department of Trade and Industry

    (Department of Trade and Industry)

    • English


      Q: What is a Business Name?

      A: A business name refers to any name that is different from the true name of an individual, which is used or signed in connection with her/his business.

      Q: Is Business Name Registration (BNR) required?

      A: Yes, if a person will use a firm name other than his/her true name.

      Q: What is the age requirement for applicants to register a BN?

      A:  At least 18 years old.

      Q: Who should sign the application for a single proprietorship?

      A:  The application must be personally signed by the applicant or owner of the business. The application may also be signed by his Attorney-in-Fact, who is authorized in a proper legal instrument (Special Power of Attorney).

      Q: Can one use P.O. Box a business address?

      A:  No.

      Q: What are the BNR requirements?

      A: The following are required when applying for a BN:

      • Two copies of completely filled out application forms signed by the owner.  Note that only the owner is authorized to sign the application form.
      • Payment of registration fee plus documentary stamp tax.
      • Presentation of original copy of two photo-bearing national issued Identification Document (ID) with signature.

      Q: What BNs are not registrable?

      A: The following BNs are NOT registrable:

      • Those which are or whose natures of business are illegal, offensive, scandalous, or contrary to propriety (e.g. Popoy’s Jueteng Betting Place, Boobs Massage and Spa)
      • Names that are the same, nearly the same as, or confusingly the same with an existing registered business, company, partnership, corporation, cooperative name; or those that infringe on any trademark, service mark or tradename (e.g. Anne Dok’s Lechon, Jolibee, Starbax Café)
      • Names composed purely of generic or geographic words (e.g. The Laundry Shop, Bacolod)
      • Names which by law or regulation cannot be appropriated (e.g OTOP, Intelligence, State College, CALABARZON)
      • Names used to designate or distinguish, or suggestive of quality of any class of goods, articles, merchandise or service (e.g. Best Taho Factory, A-1 Auto Repair Shop)
      • Names or abbreviation of a name used by the government in its governmental functions (e.g. NBI Private Investigation Services, DTI Trading)
      • Names or abbreviation of a name of any nation, intergovernmental or international organization (e.g. Philippine Manpower Pooling Agency, UNESCO Marketing)
      • Names that are deceptive, misleading, or which misrepresent the nature of the business (e.g. “ABC Construction Services” where nature of business is recruitment, a business name carrying another person’s name)

      Q: How much is the registration fee?

      A: Registration fee varies depending on the territorial jurisdiction covered in the application, as follows:



      PHP 200.00



      PHP 500.00



      PHP 1,000.00



      PHP 2,000.00


      Q: What does the territorial scope/territorial applicability of BNR refer to?

      A: Territorial scope/applicability of BN registration refers to an area within which the applicant’s right to use the registered BN shall be confined.  It may be within a barangay, a certain city/municipality, region, or national in coverage.

      Q: What are the rules on the approval of BNs within territorial boundaries?

      A: A proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in the territory:

      • Barangay – the proposed business name will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that specific barangay, city/municipality covering specified barangay, proper region, and national level in scope.  It will be approved provided it is not identical or confusingly similar with BNs registered within that barangay, city/municipality, region, or national in coverage. 
      • City/Municipality – the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that specific city/municipality, proper region, and national in coverage. 
      • Regional - the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs in that region and those national in scope. 
      • National - the proposed BN will be validated against the database of registered BNs national in application. 

      Q: If for instance the territorial scope of my BN is within a city and I want to expand my business and put up branches in other cities, what do I need to do?

      A: Expanding your business outside the registered territory is a change of location (i.e. change of the territorial applicability of your business name).  Therefore, this would require a new BN application.

      Q: Do I still need to register the branches of my business?

      A: Not anymore if your branches are located in the same territorial scope of your approved BN.

         When an existing branch, which registered prior to Department Administrative Order (DAO)10-08, Series of 2010, renews its application, the approval thereof will be applicable to all branches, including the main office within the same territorial coverage chosen. Upon renewal registration, however, the registrant will be required to select the territory/locality.

      Q: How long is the validity of a BNR?

      A: The BNR is valid for five years from the date of registration and may be renewed on the day of, or within six months from, expiration.

      Q: What are the requirements for renewal of BNR?

      A: The following are required for BNR renewal:

      • Filled out application form for renewal.
      • Processing fee plus P15.00 documentary stamps if renewed within the first three months after the expiration date.

      Q: When should one file application for BNR renewal?

      A: Applications for renewal shall be filed within six months immediately following the BNR expiration. If the renewal application is filed within the last three months thereof, a surcharge of 50% of the registration fee shall be imposed. 

      Q: What happens if one fails to renew the BN after the six-month grace period?

      A: Failure to renew within the six-month grace period after the expiration date will result in automatic cancellation of the BN from the database.  An application to register the cancelled business name will be considered as original and will be approved only if there is no such similar or confusingly similar name already registered.

      Q: Is early renewal or renewal before the expiration date allowed?

      A: No.

      Q: If one lost the original BNR certificate, what is needed to submit to facilitate the BN renewal?

      A:  An affidavit of loss must be submitted.

      Q: Is there a minimum required capitalization in registering a business name?

      A: None.

      Q: Is changing an existing BN allowed?

      A: Yes.

      Q: What are the procedures for the change of BN?

      A: The following procedures must be complied with when changing an approved BN:

      • Fill out new application form and pay the required fees.
      • Submit a notarized affidavit of cancellation of the registered BN, stating the reason/s for the cancellation and that the registered owner has no outstanding financial obligation.
      • Surrender original copy of the BN certificate and the duplicate copy of the application form. An affidavit of loss if either the BN certificate and/or the duplicate copy of the application form was lost.

      Q: Do we still need to inform DTI when we close our business?

      A: Yes, you have to inform DTI and apply for cancellation of your registered BN.

      Q: What are the requirements/procedures for the voluntary cancellation of a Business Name?

      A: The following requirements/procedures must be complied with when cancelling a BN:

      • Letter request signed by the owner.
      • Affidavit of cancellation of the registered BN, stating the reason/s for the cancellation and that the registered owner has no outstanding financial obligation.
      • Surrender original copy of the business name certificate and the duplicate copy of the application form.
      • An affidavit of loss if the BN certificate and/or the duplicate copy of the application form had been lost.

      Q: How can one secure another copy of a lost original BNR certificate?

      A: One may be able to secure, as an option, a substitute document to evidence the existence and validity of a BN based on the DTI registration records. This option refers to a request for and issuance of the certification - which is an attestation of the fact of registration of the given business.

      Q: What are the requirements/procedures when securing a certification of the existence and validity of a BN?

      A: The following must be complied with when securing a certification of the existence and validity of a BN:

      1. Letter request signed by the authorized signatory, stating the ff:

      ·       BN

      ·       reason/s

      ·       BN certificate number 

      2. Secure and attach a duly notarized affidavit of loss.

      3. Processing fee of P50.00 per certification plus documentary stamp tax of P15.00.


      Q: What are the requirements if I want to secure a Certified True Copy (CTC)?

      A: The requirements in securing a CTC are:

      • Letter request signed by the requesting party, with an indication of requested number of copies for CTC
      • Photocopy(ies) of the BN certificate
      • Processing fee of P50.00 plus documentary stamp tax of P15.00 per copy

      Q: Is it possible for one person to have more than one BN?

      A: YES.

    • Filipino


      T: Ano ang batas namamahala sa pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo?

      S: Ang batas na namamahala sa pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ay Act No. 3883 , na sinusugan ng Batas No. 41476 at RA No. 863 , kung hindi man ay kilala bilang "Business Name Law ."

      T: Ano ang kaukulan o tamang edad para sa mga aplikante upang magparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ?

      S: Hindi bababa sa labing-walong (18) taong gulang.

      T:  Gaano katagal ang bisa ng isang rehistradong sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo?

      S: Ang rehistro ay may bisa ng limang (5) taon mula sa petsa ng orihinal na pagka aproba nito, kung saan pagkatapos , at dapat muling baguhin ang pagpaparehistro.

      T:  Kung nawala ko ang orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng rehistradong negosyo , ano ang kailangan kong isumite upang mapabilis ang pag- apanibago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo?

      S: Sa kaganapan na nawala mo ang iyong orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo, sa halip isang apidabit ng pagkawala ang kailangang isumite.

      T:  Ano ang mangyayari sa rehistrasyon ng pangalan ng aking negosyo kung nabigo akong baguhin pagkatapos ng petsa pagkawala ng bisa?

      S: Ang pagpaparehistro ng pangalan ng negosyo ay maaari pa ring gawin sa loob ng tatlong buwan pagkatapos ng petsa ng pag-kawala ng bisa. Sa pagpapanibago ng rehistrasyon ito ay may kaukulang halaga na babayaran. Ang kabiguang baguhin muli ang rehistro sa loob ng 6 na buwan pagkatapos ng huling araw ng pagkawala ng bisa ay magbubunga ng awtomatikong kanselasyon ng naitalang pangalan ng negosyo sa listahan ng datos. Ang isang aplikasyon upang irehistro ang kinanselang pangalan ng negosyo ay isasaalang-alang bilang orihinal at sasangayunan kung walang kapareho o nakakalitong katulad na pangalan na naka-tala na .

      T: Kung nawala ko ang aking orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng rehistrasyon ng negosyo , ano ang kailangan kong isumite upang mapabilis ang pagpapanibago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo?

      S: Sa kaganapang nawala mo ang iyong orihinal na sertipiko ng pangalan ng negosyo ng pagpaparehistro,sa halip isang apidabit ng pagkawala ay kailangang isumite .

      T:Kung ako ay magpasa ng muling pagpparehistro para sa isang pagpapabago ng pangalan ng aking negosyo, maaari ko bang baguhin ang impormasyon na nakalagay sa orihinal na naaprubahan ?

      S: Oo. Maaari mong baguhin ang ilang mga impormasyon ng negosyo tulad ng address ng kompanya , numero ng telepono , at hinahawakang negosyo( hangga't ang mga ito ay kahalintulad sa orihinal produktong naaprubahan ), pagtaas / pagbaba ng kapitalisasyon , pagtaas / pagbaba sa bilang ng mga empleyado , at iba pa . Subalit, HINDI MAAARING baguhin ang pangalan ng negosyo o kompanya na orihinal na naaprubahan, datapwat ito ay mangngangailangan ng panibagong rehistrasyon.

      T: Sino ang dapat lumagda ng aplikasyon para sa isang solong pag-mamay-ari ?

      S: Ang aplikasyon ay dapat na personal na lagdaan ng aplikante o may-ari ng negosyo. Ang aplikasyon ay maaari ring lagdaan sa pamamagitan ng kanyang Attorney -in- Fact , kung sino ang pinahintulutan sa isang wastong instrumentong legal o Special Power of Attorney

      T: Sino ang dapat lumagda ng aplikasyon para sa isang ari-arian ?

      S: Ang aplikasyon ay dapat lagdaan sa pamamagitan ng naitakdang administrador (judicially o extra- judicially appointed)

      T: Maaari ko bang gamitin ang P.O. Box na address ng aking negosyo ?

      S: Hindi


    Bureau of Internal Revenue

    (Bureau of Internal Revenue)


    Q: What is the BIR Portal?

    A: The BIR Portal is an enhanced BIR website. It is a transaction hub where the public can conveniently conduct business with the BIR over the Internet anytime, anywhere and get valuable information and access eServices like never experienced before.

    Q:  How is the Portal different from the BIR website?

    A: The BIR Portal opens a whole array of new services and features not previously available in the old BIR website. Some of these features include the availability of a search facility, capability for single sign-on to all web-based applications, direct access to content-related resources, and customization of users’ views within the portal.

         With the BIR Portal’s development, the existing BIR website is transformed into virtual communities where all of the BIR’s eServices and tax information are just a click away.

    Q:  Who can access the BIR Portal?

    A: Anybody can access the BIR Portal after registration. BIR Portal users are classified into “communities” (taxpayer, employee, external agency, contractor, and supplier or bank) to make access to tax information and the Bureau’s eServices easier.

    Q: How will the different users benefit from the BIR Portal?

    A: By registering as member of a particular community, users will immediately be directed to content/services relevant to them without having to go through the hassle of tedious searches within the site.

        Upon registration, BIR Portal users can log on to all of the Portal’s applications just by signing-in once every time they use the Portal. There is no need to re-enter user information and password when directed to relevant links and applications.

    Q: What eServices does the BIR Portal offer?

    A: Initially, the BIR Portal will only offer TIN Verification, eFPS (Electronic Filing and Payment System), eTIN (getting a TIN online), eBroadcasting, eForecasting, eSubstituted Filing, and eRegistration services.

        Over time, more eServices will be added, giving users the option to transact with the BIR at their own convenience.

    Q: Are transactions made over the BIR Portal secured?

    A: Each transaction via the BIR Portal is encrypted, thereby guaranteeing security and confidentiality. Private data like tax payments and the like cannot and will not be exposed to and accessed by the public.

    To start enjoying the BIR Portal experience, visit us at

    For more information, please call the BIR Contact Center at telephone number 981.8888.



    (Home Development Mutual Fund)


    Q: Who are mandated to register with Pag-IBIG Fund?

    A: Under Republic Act 9679, or the Home Development Mutual Fund Law of 2009, the following are mandated to register as members to the Fund:

    a. Employers of employees compulsorily covered by the SSS, including private employers previously granted waiver or suspension of coverage;

    b. Employers of employees subject to mandatory coverage by the GSIS; and

    c. The Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Bureau of Fire Protection, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, and the Philippine National Police.

    Q: How do we register with Pag-IBIG Fund?

    A: A new employer may register with the Fund in three ways:

    (1)  by visiting the nearest branch of Pag-IBIG Fund;

    (2)  by registering on-line via the Pag-IBIG Fund website at; or

    (3)  by registering through the DTI’s Philippine Business Registration System (PBRS).

    Q: What are the requirements for employer registration?  

    A: The following are the requirements that a new employer has to submit when registering with Pag-IBIG Fund:

    1. Employer's Data Form (EDF [HQP-PFF-002])

    2. Specimen Signature Form (SSF [HQP-PFF-003])

    3Valid ID

    4. SSS Certification (if already registered witSSS)

    5Certified True Copy or Proof of Business Existence


     • Sole Proprietorship

    - DTI Certificate of Registration

    - Business Permit/Mayor's Permit

    • Partnership/Corporation/Foreign-Owned Corporation

    - Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Certificate of Partnership/Incorporation

    - Approved Articles of Partnership/lncorporation and By-Laws

    - Business Permit/Mayor's Permit


     • Cooperative

    - CDA Certificate

    - Approved Articles of Cooperation

    - Business Permit/Mayor's Permit

    • Trade Association I

    - SEC Certificate of Incorporation I

    - Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws

    - Business Permit/Mayor's Permit

    Q: What are the steps in registering with the Fund?

    A: The following are the general steps to follow in registering with the Fund:

    1. Submit EDF and supporting documents.

    The Marketing and Enforcement Division (MED) shall receive and check the EDF and other supporting documents submitted by the employer.

     2. Process employer registration.

        The MED shall encode data from EDF and supporting documents in the system and issue system-generated EDF reflecting Registration Tracking Number (RTN).

    3. Issue Pag-IBIG Employer ID number

          The MED shall generate the Letter to Employer informing them of their Pag-IBIG Employer ID Number.

    Q: How do we register with Pag-IBIG Fund via the DTI’s PBRS?

    A: Before you can register via the PBRS, you have to create a user account. To do this, go to and click on Create Account. You will be prompted by the system for this.

    Once you have created your user account, follow the steps for registration of new BN with DTI and complete the registration checklist. Part of the checklist is the “Partner Agency Registration”. Tick off the box that says “I want to get a Pag-IBIG employer number”.

    Once you have completed your registration, your application will be forwarded to Pag-IBIG Fund, together with your application to the other partner agencies.

    You may view your application status from the dashboard by double clicking on your record from the table.

    Q: Is there a fee that we have to pay?

    A: None. However, employers must pay the initial contributions of their employees, including the employer counterpart.

    Q: Is there a number we can call for assistance?

    A: Yes. Employers may call at 724.4244 from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm from Mondays through Fridays.



    (Philippine Health Insurance Corporation) 


    Q: How can an employer enroll with PhilHealth?

    A: To enroll with PhilHealth, an employer shall:

    1. Submit duly accomplished Employer Data Record (Er-1) Form to the nearest PhilHealth Office. (Please take note that enrolment can only be done at the PhilHealth Office.)

    2. Attach to the Er-1 the following as may be applicable:

    a) SEC Registration if the business is owned by partners or a corporation;

    b) DTI Registration if the establishment is solely owned; and

    c) License to operate.

     3. Wait for the instructions on the release of the following:

    a) PhilHealth Employer Number (PEN), and

    b) Certificate of Registration (CoR).


    Q: When are the documents released?

    A: The EDR, which reflects the PhilHealth Employer Number (PEN), shall be released upon registration. On the other hand, the CoR can be made available for mailing or pick-up approximately after 30 working days

    Q: How is the monthly premium contribution remitted?

    A: To remit the monthly premium contribution, the following shall be followed:

    1. Prepare the amount of premium to be remitted based on the Premium Contribution Schedule. (Please note that the employee’s personal share should be based on the basic monthly salary.)

    2. Go to the nearest PhilHealth Office or go to any of the Accredited Collecting Agents (ACAs).

    3. Accomplish an Order of Payment Slip if payment will be remitted directly to PhilHealth or Contributions Payment Return (ME-5) Form for employed sector if remittance will be done at any ACA.

    4. Submit the above document and remit the total premium contribution.

    Keep the following as may be applicable:

     Collecting Agent


    ACA (Accredited

    Collecting Agent)

    Employer copy (white) and

    PhilHealth copy (yellow) of the ME-5

    Selected Rural


    Employer copy (white) and

    PhilHealth copy (yellow) of the PhilHealth

    Agent Receipt (PAR)


    PhilHealth Official Receipt (POR)


    Q: When should the monthly premium contributions be remitted?

    A: The monthly premium contribution of employed members shall be remitted by the employer on or before the 10th day of the month after the applicable month (e.g. premium contribution for July should be remitted on or before August 10).

    If the remittance due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or Non- Banking Holiday, deadline of remittance shall be on the next working day.

    Q: Are there other remittance options than going to PhilHealth or the ACAs?

    A: Yes, PhilHealth now has e-payment and auto-debit arrangements with selected banks. Contact the nearest PhilHealth Office for more details.

    Q: How does an employer submit the Remittance Report?

    A: To submit a monthly Employer’s Remittance Report (RF-1), the following shall be followed:

    1. Choose the mode of reporting among the following:

    Reporting Mode

    RF-1 Format


    Original and duplicate copy of RF-1



    RF-1 Excel Format

    RF-1 Text File Format for the PhilHealth

    Premium Remittance System (PPRS)

    Structured RF-1 based on Payroll System


    Employers with more than 50 employees are advised to use the electronic mode of reporting.

    2. Schedule with the nearest PhilHealth Office for an orientation on how to prepare the RF-1 (Electronic Reporting). (The orientation lasts for about an hour.)

    3. Submit the following documents to the nearest PhilHealth Office:

    a) For manual reporting, original and duplicate copies of RF-1

    b) For electronic reporting, soft copy and printout of RF-1

    c)  Proof of payment such as (whichever is applicable):

      •  Employer copy (white) and PhilHealth copy (yellow) of ME-5 or PAR; or

      •  Original and one clear copy of the POR.

     4. Wait for the release of the receiving copy of all documents submitted.

    Q: When should the RF-1 be submitted?

    A: The monthly remittance report shall be submitted on or before the 15th day of the month after the applicable month (e.g. monthly remittance report for July should be submitted on or before August 15).



    Social Security System

    (Social Security System)


    Q: When a person has secured an SS number, does it mean that one is already an SSS member and therefore has the right to social security benefits?

    A: No. Securing an SS number does not mean automatic membership and that one is already covered. One is considered a member when the employer has reported one for SSS coverage and has paid at least one month contribution as an employee. For self-employed, overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), or non-working spouse, they should have paid at least one month contribution.

    Q: What is the effect of non-reporting and non-remittance of contributions?

    A: Non-reporting and non-remittance of contributions have different effects on the following:

    To the Employee

          The employee is still entitled to SS benefits even if the employer fails or refuses to remit the SSS contributions.

    To the Employer

    An employer who does not report temporary or provisional employees is violating the SS law. The employer is liable to the employees and must:

    1. pay the benefits of those who die, become disabled , get sick or reach retirement age;

    2. pay all unpaid contributions plus a penalty of three percent per month; and

    3. be held liable for a criminal offense punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.

    To the Self-employed Person

    A self-employed person who fails to register with the SSS will also be fined and/or imprisoned. 

    However, in the event the self-employed person does not realize earnings in a given month, payment of SSS contributions for that month is no longer required.

    To the Self-employed and Voluntary Member

    A self-employed and voluntary member who fails to remit contributions after membership is approved, may pay the monthly contribution prospectively but is not allowed to pay contributions retroactively from the month no contribution payments were remitted.

    In the case of the covered non-working spouse, if the person gets employed later, or becomes self-employed or an OFW, the membership shall be reclassified accordingly as employed or self-employed or OFW.

    Q: Can a member withdraw his membership with the SSS?

    A: No. When a person registers for SSS membership in any capacity, either as an employee-member during employment, or as a self-employed or voluntary member, the person becomes a member for life.

        During such time that the member fails to remit contributions, the benefits and loan privileges provided by SSS can still be availed of for as long as the member meets the qualifying conditions for entitlement thereto.

    Q: What happens to the coverage of a member who has received a lump sum benefit for permanent total disability and is re-employed?

    A: The recipient of a lump sum permanent total disability who is re-employed or has resumed self-employment or as an OFW or non-working spouse, not earlier than one year from the date of disability, shall again be subject to compulsory coverage and shall be considered a new member.



    Quezon City Local Government Unit

    (Quezon City – Local Government Unit)


    Q: How Do I Apply for New Business?

    A: Please go to:

    Step 1: Fill up application form at Business One Stop Shop (BOSS) at BPLO Office Ground floor (see the sample).

    Step 2: Submit the application at the BOSS counter for evaluation and wait for the encoding and printing of your assessment

    Step 3: Pay the corresponding amount at the City Treasurer's cashier

    Step 4: Show the Official Receipt at the BOSS counter, and your permit will be printed. This will be signed and approved by the head of the BPLO.

    Step 5: Release of permit, plates and sticker. (Release of permit within one hour)

    Q: How Do I Renew my Business Permits?

    A: Pay first your taxes and fees at the City Treasurer's Office then proceed to the Basement of Civic Center, Building A

    Step 1: Submit the following documents for evaluation per District

    1. Original copy of 2015 Business Permit (if not available, bring certified photocopy)
    2. Photocopy of machine-validated 2012 Official Receipt
    3. Original copy of 2015 Barangay clearance
    4. Other documents that may be required by the evaluator, such as:
      • Location clearance
      • Fire Safety and Inspection Certificate
      • Health Certificate
      • Cultural Tourism Affairs office (CTAO) certificate, for tourism-oriented establishments
      • Photocopies of all the above documents which will be stamped "original copy presented"


    Step 2: After completing Step 1, the business permit renewal applicant will receive a claim stub indicating the pick-up date

    Step 3: On the specified pick-up date, the business permit renewal applicant shows his/her claim stub & will receive his/her renewed business permit, plates and stickers for 2015

    *SPECIAL LANES HAVE BEEN SET UP FOR SENIOR CITIZENS, PHYSICALLY DISABLED AND BUSINESS OWNERS WHO ARE PROCESSING THE RENEWAL THEMSELVES. Business permits of senior citizens and physically disabled persons which have not been processed within 2 hours would be delivered to their residences. Proceed directly to the ground floor, Civic Center Building A, Counter 5 & 6

    Releasing of renewed Business Permit will be at BPLO, Ground floor, Counter 1 to 4 of Civic Center Building A.